This is cookbook author Colman Andrews's variation on vichyssoise.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 5 large bunches scallions
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 russet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Trim and thinly slice scallions; set aside 1⁄2 cup in a small bowl for garnish, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Melt butter with olive oil in a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add scallions, and cook, stirring often, until soft but not browned, about 20 minutes. Add potatoes and chicken stock, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes begin to disintegrate, 35-40 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allow soup to cool slightly; then puree in an electric blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in cream, mixing in thoroughly, and adjust seasonings. Serve hot or cold, garnished with reserved scallions.