Shaker Scalloped Tomatoes
This simple Shaker dish showcases the zesty flavor of the tomatoes.
Yield: serves 2-4
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 (28-oz). can whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place 1 tbsp. of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and parsley and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly butter a baking dish. Drain tomatoes. Squeeze tomatoes very gently to release a little of their liquid, then arrange in prepared baking dish and sprinkle with sugar.
- Scatter onions and parsley over tomatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss bread crumbs with remaining 3 tbsp. of butter in a small bowl and sprinkle over tomatoes. Bake until browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes.