Sheila Lukins’s Summer Succotash Salad
Sheila Lukins, co-founder of the Silver Palate empire, gave us a bright variation on an old theme with this unusual succotash, which makes wonderful use of the fresh lima beans that come to market in late summer. If you can’t wait, frozen limas, quickly cooked, are a fine substitute.
- 3 cups cooked baby lima beans
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels, blanched
- 1 cup diced, peeled, seeded cucumber
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ¼ cups finely chopped red onion
- 1 scallion with 3" of green, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ⅛ tsp. curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Combine lima beans, corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and scallions in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the vinegar, mustard, garlic, sugar, and curry powder together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly. Pour over the vegetables and mix well with a rubber spatula. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Shortly before serving, toss with cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve cold.