This recipe is courtesy of Oswald Rivera, author of Puerto Rican Cuisine in America (Running Press, 2002).
- 1⁄4 lb. aji dulce chiles or Italian frying peppers, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 8 sprigs cilantro
- 6 leaves flat-leaf parsley
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and puree, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until a semicoarse paste forms, about 1 minute. Refrigerate the sofrito for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.