This recipe is courtesy of Oswald Rivera, author of Puerto Rican Cuisine in America (Running Press, 2002).
This recipe is courtesy of Oswald Rivera, author of Puerto Rican Cuisine in America.
Yield: makes 2 cups
- 1⁄4 lb. aji dulce chiles or Italian frying peppers, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 8 sprigs cilantro
- 6 leaves flat-leaf parsley
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and puree, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until a semicoarse paste forms, about 1 minute. Refrigerate the sofrito for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.