Spiced Braised Rhubarb
Orange juice, honey, and aromatic spices reduce into an intense syrup while tenderizing the rhubarb in this fruit compote. This recipe first appeared in our May 2013 issue along with Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl’s story, Good Stalk: Rhubarb.
- 1 1⁄2 lb. rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces on an angle
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 8 pods green cardamom
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thickly sliced crosswise
- Yogurt or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Heat oven to 400°. Mix together rhubarb, orange juice, honey, salt, cardamom, star anise, vanilla bean and seeds, and ginger in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Bake, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is tender, 14-16 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Serve over yogurt or ice cream, if you like.