Out of season, use canned squash blossoms.
- 2 poblano chiles
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium tomato, cored and chopped
- 20 squash blossoms, cleaned (remove pistils) and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh or 1 tsp. dried epazote (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 lb. fresh masa
- Lard or vegetable shortening
VARIATIONS: For Quesadillas de Chiles (Chile Quesadillas): Make a filling by mixing together 3 chopped, seeded, peeled poblano chiles (see step 1), 1 lb. grated monterey jack cheese, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste in a bowl, then proceed with steps 3-5. For Quesadillas de Papas y Chiles (Potato and Chile Quesadillas), follow method for chile quesadillas above, adding 1 large diced, peeled, boiled russet potato to filling before proceeding to steps 3-5.