Stewed Green Beans
Carolyn Canterbury uses a green bean variety called fatty horse, which she cans in the summer, when making her version of this dish.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1⁄2 lb. sliced bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lb. fresh large green beans, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- Cut bacon into 1" pieces and transfer to a large pot. Cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 10–12 minutes. Add onions and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, 8–10 minutes.
- Add sugar, 1 quart water, and salt and pepper to taste and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add green beans, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until green beans are very tender, about 11⁄4 hours. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.