Strawberry Griddle Cakes
Fresh strawberries turn ordinary pancakes into something scrumptious; wild blueberries, or any other kind of berry, make an excellent substitute. This recipe first appeared in our May 2014 issue with the story Clocking the Cook: Perfect Timing.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup roughly chopped strawberries
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Butter and maple syrup, to serve
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Beat the egg with the milk.
- Pour the egg–milk mixture into the flour mixture and beat well. Gently fold in 1⁄2 cup of the strawberries.
- Using a paper towel, grease a large, heavy griddle or skillet with a thin film of vegetable oil, then heat over medium heat until very hot.
- Use about 1⁄4 cup of batter to form each griddle cake. Cook in the hot pan until bubbles form on the surface and edges are dry. Turn and cook until the other side is golden brown.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup and remaining 1⁄2 cup strawberries.