Summer Vegetable Soup
This light soup can be made any time of year—just adapt the vegetables to whatever is in season.
Yield: serves 6
- 6 cups Simple Vegetable Stock
- 1 large carrot, peeled, trimmed, and diced
- 1⁄4 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced, tops reserved for garnish
- 6 small red or white new potatoes, sliced
- 2 small yellow or green summer squash, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 small sprigs fresh chervil
- Bring stock to a simmer in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, beans, fennel, potatoes, and squash, cover pot, and gently simmer until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle into individual bowls and garnish with reserved fennel tops, parsley, and chervil.