Sweet Potato Casserole
Our take on the iconic marshmallow-topped holiday concoction.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 4 lb. sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground allspice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup roasted salted cashews
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Heat oven to 400°. Place sweet potatoes on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet; bake until soft, about 1 1⁄2 hours. Let cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Peel potatoes; pass them through a food mill into a bowl. Whisk in evaporated milk, sugar, 4 tbsp. of the butter, vanilla extract, salt, allspice, and eggs. Transfer to a 2-qt. oval baking dish.
- In a food processor, pulse together cashews, brown sugar, flour, and remaining 2 tbsp. of butter until coarsely ground. Crumble cashew mixture over half of casserole; top other half with marshmallows. Bake until marshmallows are golden brown, about 30 minutes.