Sweet Potatoes in Syrup with Guava
This sweet and citrusy dish can be served as a side or as a dessert.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 lb. piloncillo sugar, roughly chopped, or 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2" chunks
- 1 (3") stick cinnamon, preferably Mexican canela
- 1 (1") piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- Peel of 1 orange, white pith removed, roughly chopped
- 4 oz. sugarcane, fresh or canned, cut into 2" lengths (optional)
- 1 (20-oz.) can guava wedges in syrup, drained
- Heat the piloncillo, orange juice, and 1⁄2 cup water in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often, until dissolved, 10 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, cinnamon, ginger, and orange peel; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Remove lid from saucepan, add the sugarcane and guava, and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the liquid is reduced to a syrupy consistency, 30 minutes. Serve warm.