Like many San Antonio restaurants, Mi Tierra, where we encountered this recipe, served our chile con queso (Texans call it just queso) with multicolored tortilla chips.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Velveeta, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. chopped peeled yellow onion
- 2 tbsp. diced tomato
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 10-12 oz. homemade or top-quality store bought <a href=”https://www.saveur.com/article/Techniques/All-About-Tortillas”>Tortilla/ Chips</a>
- Put cheddar and Velveeta into a medium pot set over another pot of simmering water over medium heat and heat until cheese mixture is nearly melted. Add cream and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until cheese mixture is hot and smooth, 3–5 minutes.
- Transfer melted cheese mixture to a serving dish and sprinkle onions, tomatoes, and jalapeños on top. Serve immediately with chips.