Fig jam brings out the molasses notes in bittersweet amaro, while apple cider coaxes fruity notes from rum in this allspice-accented wintery cocktail. This recipe first appeared in the iPad edition of our Jan/Feb 2013 issue along with Jeffrey Morgenthaler’s article Preserves in Cocktails.
- 1 3⁄4 oz. aged rum, preferably El Dorado 12-year-old
- 1 1⁄2 oz. apple cider
- 1⁄2 oz. Averna amaro
- 1⁄4 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. fig jam
- 1⁄2 tsp. St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- 1⁄2 tsp. Angostura bitters
- Orange peel, for garnish
- Combine rum, cider, amaro, juice, jam, dram, and bitters in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain into a chilled old fashioned glass with ice; garnish with orange peel.