This dish appears in both of author Antonio Carluccio’s mushroom books. In the first edition, he advises blanching the mushrooms; in the new book he boils the fungi in vinegary water to pickle them slightly, as below. The salad may be served warm or cold.
- 2 1⁄4 lb. mixed fresh wild mushrooms
- 6 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. salt
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 slices fresh, hot red chile pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. each minced parsley and cilantro
- 1 lemon, halved
- Clean the mushrooms as appropriate and cut to roughly the same size. Bring the water to a boil and add 3 tbsp. salt and the vinegar. Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes. Drain well and cool.
- In a pan, heat the oil and sauté the garlic and chile to soften. Add the mushrooms, heat through, and taste for seasoning. Stir in the herbs and serve immediately, sprinkled with lemon juice.