The Hurricane Club’s #77
This perfectly tropical coconut-rum drink was once served in a coconut shell at the now closed New York tiki restaurant Hurricane Club. If you don’t have a coconut, a tall glass will do.
For the Cardamom Syrup (makes about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup whole green cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 cup sugar
For the Cocktail
- 3 oz. coconut water
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. frozen coconut pureé
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 oz. spiced rum, such as Captain Morgan’s
- Make the syrup: Heat pods in a 1-qt. saucepan until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add sugar and 1 cup water and bring to a boil; stirring until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Cool; strain. Refrigerate up to 3 months.
- Make the cocktail: In a blender, puree 1 oz. cardamom syrup, coconut water, lime juice, coconut pureé, cinnamon, and nutmeg until smooth and transfer to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Add rum; shake and strain into a collins glass filled with fresh ice or a coconut, if available.