Thousand Island Dressing
This thick, satisfying condiment has long been a favorite of salad lovers the world over. This is our interpretation of the Waldorf-Astoria’s recipe, which we love spooned over a crisp, cool wedge of iceberg lettuce or charcoal-grilled hamburgers.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 3-4 tbsp. Heinz chili sauce
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2 tbsp. chopped drained sweet pickles
- 1 tsp. pickling juice from sweet pickles
- 1 tbsp. chopped, drained, jarred pimientos
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put mayonnaise, chili sauce, onions, pickles, pickle juice, pimientos, and salt and pepper to taste into a medium bowl and stir until well combined. Dressing will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.