These traditional Italian cookies, brimming with toasted almonds, are twice-baked for extra crispiness.
Yield: makes 40
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
- 3 cups flour, plus more for pan
- 8 oz. sliced almonds, plus 1 lb. whole, lightly toasted
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- Heat oven to 375°. Grease and flour a baking sheet; set aside. Combine sliced almonds and granulated sugar in a food processor; pulse until smooth. Add flour, brown sugar, oil, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla, and eggs; pulse until dough comes together. Fold in whole almonds and transfer to prepared pan. Pat dough into a 7" × 15" rectangle; bake until golden and slightly firm, 18–20 minutes. Let biscotti cool.
- Reduce oven to 325°. Remove cooled biscotti from pan; cut crosswise into twenty 7"-long strips; cut each strip in half to form forty 3 1⁄2"-long strips. Transfer strips to parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 20–25 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.