Torsh-e Liteh (Eggplant and Herb Pickle)
Serve this tart, herbaceous eggplant pickle with Persian rice dishes and stews.
Yield: makes 1 1/2 Cups
- 1 1⁄4 lb. Japanese eggplant, peeled and halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. chopped tarragon
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. dried mint
- Sprinkle eggplants heavily with salt, and place on a wire rack set over paper towels; let drain for 20 minutes. Roughly chop eggplants; add to a 4-qt. saucepan along with ½ cup vinegar, turmeric, coriander, caraway, garlic, and ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, combine remaining vinegar, tarragon, parsley, cilantro, and mint in a bowl. Stir herb mixture into eggplant mixture; transfer to a bowl. Chill.