This is a warm and gooey version of the tuna salad sandwich.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 (6-oz.) cans oil-packed tuna with the oil
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch minced chives
- Leaves from 3–4 parsley sprigs, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices multigrain, sourdough, or other bread
- 3⁄4 cup shredded swiss, cheddar, or monterey jack cheese
- Put tuna into a medium bowl, then break up tuna with a fork. Add mayonnaise and lemon juice and mash into tuna until mixture has the consistency of a coarse purée (not a paste), adding a bit more mayonnaise if necessary.
- Using the fork, stir in celery, chives, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat broiler. Lightly toast bread. Divide tuna salad equally among 4 slices of the toasted bread. Top each serving of tuna salad with about 3 tbsp. of the cheese, then broil until cheese is melted but not browned, about 1 minute. Top tuna salad and melted cheese with remaining slices of toast.