Vegetable Salad Soup
This soup is based on a recipe dreamed up three years ago by the artist Stella Bellow, who is currently ten years old. It is featured in Bellow’s drawing Vechadable Salid Soup, which appears in the May 2010 issue of SAVEUR.
- 1⁄2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed salad greens, such as arugula
- 1 small carrot, peeled into thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soy sauce, to taste
- Arrange an oven rack 4″ from the heating element and heat oven to broil. Put tomatoes and oil into a small bowl and toss to combine. Transfer tomatoes to an aluminum foil–lined baking sheet and broil, turning once, until the tomatoes blister and burst, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer tomatoes to a serving bowl and add salad greens and carrots. Pour in 1 cup hot water and sprinkle with cinnamon. Season soup with salt, pepper, and soy sauce and serve hot.