This hearty winter salad was adapted from Jamie Oliver's cookbook Cook With Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook (2007, Hyperion).
- 6-8 Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small head radicchio, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large head butter lettuce
- 1 small handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste (optional)
- Shaved Parmesan
Boil the artichokes in salty water until just soft, but nowhere near mushy. Slightly cool and cut into chunks.
Meanwhile, saute the bacon in a large skillet until beginning to brown, then add the artichokes. Add onions and cook over high heat, stirring only occasionally, until everything is crispy.
Transfer the contents of the skillet into a large bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Add the balsamic vinegar, and, depending on the fat content of your bacon, a little olive oil to moisten. Add the radicchio and lettuce, and toss well. Transfer to serving plates and top with shaved Parmesan.