This hearty winter salad was adapted from Jamie Oliver’s cookbook Cook With Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook (2007, Hyperion).
Yield: makes 4 servings
- 6-8 Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small head radicchio, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large head butter lettuce
- 1 small handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste (optional)
- Shaved Parmesan
- Boil the artichokes in salty water until just soft, but nowhere near mushy. Slightly cool and cut into chunks.
- Meanwhile, saute the bacon in a large skillet until beginning to brown, then add the artichokes. Add onions and cook over high heat, stirring only occasionally, until everything is crispy.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet into a large bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Add the balsamic vinegar, and, depending on the fat content of your bacon, a little olive oil to moisten. Add the radicchio and lettuce, and toss well. Transfer to serving plates and top with shaved Parmesan.