Kale and Citrus Salad
After long days of making pastries and rich foods in the SAVEUR test kitchen, our team craves lunches that are bright, flavorful, and not too heavy. This winter salad, created by associate test kitchen director Farideh Sadeghin, combines some of the best cold-weather flavors—kale, orange, and pumpkin seeds—with sweet honey and airy ricotta.
- 4 large oranges, peeled and supremed, trimmings reserved
- 4 tbsp. honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 8-10 cups baby kale (or mature kale, stemmed and torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 3 tbsp. hulled pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2-3 medium shallots, peeled, thinly sliced, and soaked in cold water for 10 minutes
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- Squeeze juice from orange trimmings into a large mixing bowl to make ¼ cup juice. Add honey, salt and pepper, and whisk in oil. Add kale, pumpkin seeds, shallots, and supremed orange segments, and toss to coat with the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add small dollops of ricotta cheese and very gently toss to combine before serving.