Yellow Hot Relish
Rosaura Guerrero typically used up a whole batch of this lively condiment at one family meal, but her granddaughter Susan refrigerates some for later use. The Guerrero family recommends serving it with pork chops or steak.
- 1 1⁄2 lb. small medium-hot yellow chiles such as caribes
- 1⁄2 medium chopped, pealed white onion
- 8 cloves chopped peeled garlic
- 1 tsp. crushed dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups vinegar
- Stem, seed, and chop 1⁄2 lb. small medium-hot or hot fresh yellow chiles, then put into a medium bowl (wear rubber globes or wash hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after handling chiles).
- Add 1⁄2 medium chopped pealed white onion, 8 cloves chopped peeled garlic, 1 tsp. crushed dried oregano, and 1⁄2 tsp. salt to bowl and mix well.
- Put relish into a clean 24-oz. ceramic or glass jar. Add enough white vinegar to cover relish by about 1⁄4” (about 1 1⁄4 cups). Cover jar and refrigerate for at least 2 weeks before serving. Relish keeps, refrigerated, for up to 6 weeks.