Spiced Mexican Sausage with Potatoes (Chorizo con Papas)
Fresh chorizo, without a casing, is simple to make. This recipe yields about three and a half pounds of the sausage—enough for this hearty potato dish, plus plenty leftover for topping eggs or filling tacos. This recipe first appeared in the 2012 SAVEUR 100, with the article Fresh Chorizo.
- 12 dried guajillo chiles, stemmed (available from Amazon)
- 8 dried chiles de árbol, stemmed
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. dried orégano, preferably Mexican
- 1 tbsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 lb. ground pork
- 8 oz. pork fatback, chilled and minced
- 2 lb. medium red-skinned potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Make the chorizo: Heat both chiles in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat; cook, turning, until toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer chiles to a bowl and cover with 4 cups boiling water; let sit until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain chiles, reserving 3⁄4 cup soaking liquid, and transfer to a blender along with reserved soaking liquid, cilantro, vinegar, paprika, salt, oregano, pepper, cumin, coriander, and garlic; purée until smooth. Transfer purée to a bowl and add pork and fatback; mix until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Make the chorizo con papas: Bring a 6-qt. saucepan of water to a boil; add potatoes and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 lb. prepared chorizo, and cook, stirring to break up large chunks, until browned and fat renders, about 8 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a bowl and set aside. Add remaining oil to skillet, and then add reserved potatoes and onion; cook, stirring, until potatoes are browned and crusty, about 10 minutes. Stir in reserved chorizo; season with salt and pepper before serving.