Orange-and-Coffee-Flavored Rum Liqueur
Also called The 44 Cordial, this cocktail is concocted using 44 coffee beans, 44 tsp. of sugar and steeped for 44 days.
Yield: makes About 4 Cups
- 1 large navel orange
- 44 coffee beans
- 1 cup sugar (just over 44 tsp.)
- 1 liter white rum (roughly a quart)
- Poke forty-four 1"-deep slits all over the orange with a paring knife; stuff a coffee bean into each slit.
- Put the orange, along with the sugar and rum, into a widemouthed jar with a tight-sealing lid. Store and let steep in a cool, dark spot, swirling the jar occasionally, for 44 days.
- Remove and discard the orange and strain the liqueur through a cheesecloth-lined strainer. Transfer to a clean bottle and store in the freezer until ready to drink. Serve neat or over ice.