Garlicky hunks of potato are mixed with wilted Swiss chard in this quick Croatian side dish, a great accompaniment to grilled fish. This recipe first appeared in our April 2014 issue with Brendan Francis Newnam’s story Splendor of the Isles.
- 1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. Swiss chard, tough stems removed, tender stems and leaves torn into 2″ pieces
- Boil potatoes in a 4-qt. saucepan of salted water until tender, 5–7 minutes; drain and set aside. Add oil to saucepan; place over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook until soft, 1–2 minutes. Add potatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5–7 minutes. Stir in Swiss chard; cook until wilted, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.