Puritan & Company in Cambridge, Massachusetts, serves this riff on the Vieux Carré, a classic New Orleans drink. In it, rye whiskey is paired with bittersweet fortified wine and spicy, citrusy Bénédictine, a liqueur made with a secret recipe that includes 27 aromatic ingredients.
Yield: makes 1 Cocktail
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> oz. rye
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> oz. sweet vermouth, preferably Punt e Mes
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> oz. Bénédictine liqueur
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 (1”) strip lemon peel, for garnish
- Combine rye, vermouth, Bénédictine, and bitters in an ice-filled shaker. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass; garnish with lemon peel.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, Tricks, and Tips for Hosting a Himalayan-Inspired Vegetarian Feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.