Fall Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash, Kale Chips, and Pomegranate Seeds
Crispy baked kale, sweet roasted squash, and peppery arugula and watercress are combined with pumpkin and pomegranate seeds in this colorful salad.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 1⁄2 medium butternut squash (about 1 lb.), peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large bunch kale, ribs removed and leaves torn into 2" pieces
- 1 tsp. citric acid (available from Bulk Apothecary)
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 cups watercress
- 1 small head escarole, leaves torn into pieces and washed
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1⁄3 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- Heat oven to 400°. Toss squash with 1⁄4 cup oil, plus salt and pepper on a baking sheet; spread into an even layer. Bake until slightly caramelized, 18–20 minutes; let cool.
- Reduce oven to 275°. Toss kale with 1⁄4 cup oil, citric acid, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet; spread into an even layer. Bake until crisp, 25–30 minutes; let cool.
- Whisk remaining oil with pecorino romano, lemon juice, Dijon, maple syrup, salt, and pepper in a bowl until smooth. Toss arugula, watercress, escarole, and 1⁄3 of dressing in a bowl; transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with squash, kale, pumpkin seeds, and pomegranate seeds. Serve additional dressing on the side.