Herbed Lemon Quinoa
Quinoa, which is botanically a seed and not a grain, is widely accepted as a Passover-friendly starch. In this recipe from cookbook author Leah Koenig, it gets dressed up for the seder table with a mix of sweet sautéed shallots, lemon, and parsley.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium shallots, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Bring 2 3⁄4 cups water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan. Stir in quinoa, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat; let sit 5 minutes; Uncover and fluff with a fork; keep warm.
- Heat oil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat; add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in zest and juice and simmer for 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and stir in the shallot-lemon mixture, thyme, and parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.