Marcella Hazan’s Bagna Cauda (Anchovy and Garlic Dip)
This Italian classic, whose Italian name means warm bath, provides the perfect counterpoint to raw vegetables. This recipe is based on one in Essentials of Classic Italian Cuisine (Knopf, 1992) by Marcella Hazan.
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 salt-cured anchovy filets, rinsed, boned and finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Assortment of raw, cut-up cauliflower, carrots, celery, radicchio, and radishes
- Heat oil and butter in a pot over medium-high heat until butter begins to foam. Add garlic; cook for 10 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-low and add anchovies. Cook, stirring and mashing anchovies with a wooden spoon, until anchovies are broken into very small pieces and dip is cloudy, 3–4 minutes. Season with salt to taste and serve immediately as a dip for an assortment of raw vegetables.