Prejean’s Potato Salad
If you order one of the spectacular gumbos served at Prejean’s restaurant in Lafayette, Louisiana, the wait staff will likely ask: “Would you like potato salad with that?” The version they serve isn’t simply meant to be a side; here, it is common for diners to stir the salad right into the gumbo. Doing so cools the gumbo down to room temperature and adds a creaminess that’s akin to melting ice cream.
- 2 1⁄2 lb. waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
- 2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 tsp. cayenne, plus more for garnish
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Sliced scallions, for garnish (optional)
- Boil potatoes in a 6-qt. saucepan of water until tender, 18-20 minutes. Drain potatoes and transfer to a bowl; mash until smooth and let cool. Stir in remaining ingredients; garnish with more cayenne and scallions, if you like.