Razor Clams Fantasia
Meaty razor clams are topped with a wine, colatura, scallion, and garlic sauce.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 3 lb. razor clams
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cup plus 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, plus halves
- 1⁄2 tsp. Colatura
- 12 scallions, thinly sliced, 1/4 cup sliced greens reserved
- 8 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 (6") piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- Submerge clams in a large bowl of heavily salted cold water and let sit for 15 minutes to purge them of sand; drain and set aside. Stir 1 cup oil, the lemon juice, colatura, half each the scallions, garlic, and ginger, and salt in a bowl; set sauce aside. Heat remaining oil in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium. Cook remaining scallions, garlic, and ginger until fragrant, 1–2 minutes. Stir in clams and wine; cook, covered, until shells have opened, 4–5 minutes. Stir half the reserved sauce into clams. Transfer clams to a platter; spoon remaining sauce over top and garnish with reserved 1⁄4 cup sliced green scallions. Serve with lemon halves.