Simmering wings and giblets in turkey stock packs it full of flavor, making a deep, rich base for a pan gravy. This recipe, developed by chef Mary Sue Milliken, first appeared in our November 2013 issue with the story State of Grace.
- 2 lb. turkey wings
- 8 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- Giblets from 1 turkey (gizzard, heart, and neck; save liver for another use)
Simmer all ingredients in an 8-qt. saucepan until vegetables are very soft, about 1½ hours. Strain stock, discarding solids but reserving giblets; let cool and, if necessary, skim fat. Roughly chop gizzards and heart and shred meat from neck; chill giblets until ready to make gravy.