The Soul Train
At L.A.’s Ledlow, bartender Jeremiah Doherty aims for unexpected, but sophisticated, flavor combinations—like cardamom and tequila. In this cocktail, Suerte Blanco tequila and ground cardamom make for an interesting, “east meets west” duo; Suerte uses Blue Weber Agave that is grown in mineral-rich soils in Mexico’s Jalisco highlands. After distillation, they allow the tequila to rest for 2 months in stainless steel, making for a smooth, citrus taste that blends well with the floral spice.
Cardamom Simple Syrup
- 25 lightly crushed green cardamom pods
- Cheesecloth and kitchen twine, for steeping
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 oz. Suerte Blanco tequila
- 3⁄4 oz. cardamom simple syrup
- 3⁄4 oz. freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1⁄4 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice, plus lime slice for garnish
- For the syrup: Wrap cardamom in cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine into a tight packet; set aside. Combine sugar and water in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheesecloth packet. Let syrup cool completely and chill overnight. Remove packet and refrigerate syrup until ready to use.
- For the cocktail: Combine tequila, syrup, and juices in an ice-filled shaker. Strain into a rocks glass with 1 large cube; garnish with lime slice.