Tomato Salad with Green Beans and Basil
Toss peak-summer tomatoes with crisp-tender green beans and romano beans and a bright red wine vinaigrette for an all-purpose summer side dish.
Yield: serves 6
Time: 15 minutes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz. green beans, trimmed
- 8 oz. romano beans, trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes (half sliced 1/4" thick, half cut into 1/2" wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, preferably a mix of regular and Thai basil, torn
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook green and romano beans until bright green and yellow, 1–2 minutes. Drain beans and transfer to a bowl of ice water until chilled. Drain beans and spread on paper towels to dry. Whisk vinegar, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl until combined; add reserved beans and the tomatoes and toss to combine. Arrange beans and tomatoes on a serving platter. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with basil leaves, salt, and pepper.