- Van Leeuwen Vanilla Bean: By a small margin, Van Leeuwen came in first. Most people were surprised by an unexpected hint of marshmallow. Tasting notes: "Toasty marshmallow."; "Eerily reminiscent of Lucky Charms."
- Jeni's Ndali Estate Vanilla: In second place, Jeni's vanilla was liked for its pleasantly dense texture and clean taste. Tasting notes: "A+ texture."; "Sweet and clean."
- Tie High Road Vanilla Fleur de Sel and Smitten Classic Vanilla: Testers enjoyed High Road's density ("You could cut this ice cream with a knife") and Smitten's "pure orchid taste" and "dreamy texture."
- Tie Talenti Tahitian Vanilla Bean and McConnell's Vanilla Bean: Most tasters recognized Talenti as a gelato noting its "smooth texture" over any distinct flavor. McConnell's level of vanilla was described as "fake," but also "delicious"; we generally appreciate its rich, dense texture.
- Häagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean: Overall, tasters liked the standard classic. Tasting notes: "Warm flavor, lovely texture."; "Perfect thickness that softens to a gentle milk."
- Tie Ice & Vice Basic B and Graeter's Madagascar Vanilla Bean: Split between lovers and haters, Ice & Vice was called "delish" but also "sticky." Testers found Graeter's to be icy, bland, and "fake, in a good way."
- Tie Breyer's Vanilla Bean and Capannari Madagascar Vanilla: Breyer's is, well, Breyer's. Most people noted its fluffiness, but said little about its flavor. Almost across the board, Capannari was noted to taste "fake," "neutral," and like "plastic."
- Herrell's Vanilla: An underdog, we had tasters rooting for Herrell's, but it didn't perform as expected. Tasting notes: "Scoops nicely, but loses texture."; "Tastes like DQ."
- Ben & Jerry's Vanilla: A bodega classic, Ben & Jerry's may be good when in a pinch, but most testers noted it to be "fake" and "icy."
- Tillamook Old-Fashioned Vanilla: Though some testers liked this ice cream's texture, many thought it was too sweet. Tasting notes: "Too sweet, not enough vanilla."
- Molly Moon's Vanilla Bean: With the exception of one lover, Molly Moon's was not well liked, owing to blandness and an odd, fluffy texture. Tasting notes: "Stiff and dry like whipped cream."
The Flavor of Resilience: Loló, A Beloved Restaurant in San Francisco’s Mission District, Offers Comfort During A Pandemic