What You Will Need
Broccoli Rabe with White Beans and Preserved Lemon
The bitter bite of broccoli rabe is tempered by creamy cannellini beans and brightened by salty preserved lemon. A quick and pretty 1-pan side dish, this is easy to scale up for a crowd; unlike softer, more watery greens, rabe retains plenty of volume after cooking. Look for greens with healthy-looking stems and dark green florets.
Yield: serves 4-6
Time: 45 minutes
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium shallots, quartered and sliced ¼-inch-thick (¾ cup)
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced (3 Tbsp.)
- 1 tbsp. plus 1½ tsp. chopped preserved lemon
- 1⁄4 tsp. chile flakes
- 1 lb. broccoli rabe, stems trimmed (8 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- One 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (1½ cups)
- 1-2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1⁄4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved into wide ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot set over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of the oil. Once hot, add the shallots and a pinch of kosher salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 3–4 minutes. Add the garlic, preserved lemon, and chile flakes and continue cooking until the garlic is soft and fragrant, 2–3 minutes more. Add the broccoli rabe and stock, and bring the stock to a boil. Adjust the heat to maintain a strong simmer. Partially cover the pan and cook, tossing the greens once or twice, until the leaves of the broccoli have wilted and the stems are almost tender, 10–15 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the beans, the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Season with kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and additional lemon juice to taste, and cook, uncovered, until the juices are slightly reduced and the rabe stems are fully tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Transfer the broccoli rabe and its cooking juices to a deep platter. Drizzle with olive oil, top with freshly ground pepper and Parmigiano, and serve.