Caramelized Onion, Fennel and Mushroom Soup
Add nuance to this mushroom soup by changing up the mushroom combination each time you make it.
Yield: serves 4-6
Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise, fronds reserved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups mushroom or beef stock
- 1 lb. mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake, or portobello, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high. Add the onions and fennel and cook, stirring, until soft and caramelized, about 1 hour. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Pour in the stock and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Scrape the mushrooms and wine into the soup and cook, stirring, to marry flavors, about 5 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls, and garnish with the reserved fennel fronds.