Crispy Smashed Za’atar Potatoes
Boiled buttery Yukon gold potatoes are smashed and roasted crisp in this side dish. A finishing sprinkle of za’atar, a heady Middle Eastern mix of spices, seeds, and herbs, brings these potatoes to the next level.
- 2 1⁄2 lb. baby Yukon gold potatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp. za’atar
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat the oven to 425°. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water by 1-inch. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat to medium and cook the potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and then spread them on a baking sheet. Using the palm of your hand, lightly press the potatoes to flatten them. Transfer the potatoes to a roasting pan and drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt, and pepper. Bake the potatoes, flipping once halfway through cooking, until crispy, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a rack and sprinkle the potatoes with za’atar. Transfer the potatoes to a platter and serve warm with lemon wedges.