What You Will Need
Fermented Carrot, Chile, and Tomato Sauce
Left to ferment, this sauce takes on a tangy, spicy-sweet flavor. Minnick uses cayenne chiles, but any hot red chile will do.
Yield: makes 2 Cups
Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup peeled, shredded carrots (5 oz.)
- 1 cup puréed hot red chiles, from about 14 oz. chiles such as cayenne or fresno
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups drained crushed tomatoes (14 oz.)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Combine the carrots and chiles. Season with salt and transfer to an airtight pint jar. Store at room temperature until fermented and fizzy (about one week). Transfer to the refrigerator, and use within 3 months.
- When ready to serve, combine the tomatoes, lemon juice, and 2–3 tablespoons of the fermented chile mixture in a bowl. (Save the extra chile mixture for more batches of sauce.)