A twist on the classic Waldorf salad, this recipe tosses sweet apples with crisp watercress and nutty kohlrabi in a sumac-infused yogurt dressing. Look for young, tender kohlrabi for the best flavor.
- 4 cups lightly packed watercress, washed and trimmed
- 2 medium (or 1 large) kohlrabi, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 fuji or gala apple, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped mint
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground sumac, plus more for garnish
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine watercress, kohlrabi, and apples in a bowl. Whisk yogurt, mint, sumac, garlic, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper in a bowl; pour over salad and toss to combine. Garnish with a sprinkle of sumac.