Adding cuts of rind from a wedge of Grana Padano to any soup broth will amplify flavor and add a slightly creamy texture.
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced fennel
- 1 cup diced red potatoes
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 2 cups kale, bottom stems removed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Grana Padano cheese rind
- 1 cup small pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add white and red onion and cook two minutes, or until caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook about one minute. Add carrots and celery and cook until slightly softened and translucent.
- Next, add fennel, potatoes, and zucchini, stirring after each addition. Meanwhile, chop the greens.
- Add stock and Grana Padano rind to pot. Bring soup to a boil. Add chopped kale and season with salt and pepper. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and cannellini beans and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with freshly grated Grana Padano cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.