This northern Italian eel risotto recipe, adapted from one made by Fillipo at Il Bettolino Di Foce is simple both in ingredients and in technique, allowing the earthy flavors of the slender river fish to shine.
Ask your local fishmonger to bleed and “deslime” fresh eel for you, or order cleaned, frozen eel online from American Unagi.
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and halved
- One 1¼-lb. eel fillet, cut crosswise into 3-in. pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped (½ cup)
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped (⅓ cup)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1½ cups carnaroli rice
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 oz. parmesan or pecorino cheese, grated