A base of crunchy, fresh fennel contrasts perfectly with grilled corn kernels and crumbled feta cheese in this summer salad from chef Chris Fischer. If you don’t have time to light up the grill for the corn in this recipe, simply sauté the cut kernels in a dry skillet until they’re charred in spots to caramelize their outsides, mimicking the flavors of the grill.
Featured in: A Gathering by the Sea
- 1 ear of corn, shucked
- 2 large fennel bulbs, trimmed, fronds reserved
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaves, torn by hand into bite-size pieces
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. feta cheese
- Light a grill and cook the corn, turning as needed, until tender and charred all over, about 14 minutes. Let cool and then cut the kernels from the cob.
- Cut the fennel bulbs in half lengthwise and, using a mandolin or chef knife, thinly shave the fennel lengthwise. Transfer the fennel to a large bowl along with the mint leaves, olive oil, and lemon juice, and season with salt. Toss until evenly combined and then arrange on a serving platter. Season with pepper and then top the salad with the reserved corn, the feta, and fennel fronds.