What You Will Need
Spicy Pickled Okra
Maison Premiere's garlicky pickled okra is the perfect bar snack or Bloody Mary topper.
Yield: makes 1 Quart
Time: 24 hours, 5 minutes
- 1 lb. medium-sized okra
- 4 medium garlic cloves (½ oz.), peeled
- 2 medium serrano or jalapeño chiles, split in half
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard seed
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 3⁄4 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. plus 1½ tsp. kosher salt (11g or 0.35 oz)
- In a 1-quart jar or other heat-proof container, add the okra, garlic, and chiles.
- In a small pot, add the vinegar, thyme, mustard seed, Cajun seasoning, peppercorns, and salt. Set over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally to dissolve the salt. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and immediately pour enough over the okra to cover the vegetables and fill the jar. (You may not need all of the brine.) Place a small bowl or plate on top of the okra to keep it submerged in the brine, then cover the jar.
- Let the liquid cool to room temperature, then refrigerate the jar for at least 48 hours before eating or serving the pickles. Will keep covered and refrigerated for several months.