Typically a thin crêpe of chickpea flour and water, ordinary socca is transformed here by chef Jessica Koslow of Sqirl into a thicker dinner pancake teeming with cilantro, spices, and sprouted chickpeas. The delicate socca crêpes are crumbly, so flip and handle them carefully.
Featured in: Give Beans a Fresher Flavor by Sprouting Them
- 1 tsp. Aleppo pepper
- 1 tsp. whole coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 2 1⁄4 cups sprouted chickpeas
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus 1/4 cup whole leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 cup plain, full-fat Greek yogurt
- In a small skillet, toast the Aleppo pepper with the coriander and cumin seeds over medium heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the spices into a spice grinder and pulse until coarsely ground. Scrape the ground spices into a food processor, combine with 2 cups chickpeas, the chopped cilantro, chickpea flour, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, the salt, pepper, eggs, scallions, and 1⁄2 cup water, and purée into a smooth batter.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high. Spread 3⁄4 cup batter into an even pancake and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the pancake to a plate and repeat with 3 tablespoons more olive oil and the remaining batter to make 3 more pancakes, placing each one on a serving plate as it's finished cooking.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the whole cilantro leaves and the remaining 1⁄4 cup sprouted chickpeas along with the arugula, basil, parsley, and mint. Season the salad with salt and pepper and divide among the plates, piling the salad onto the center of each pancake. Serve immediately with the yogurt, seasoned with salt and pepper, on the side for dipping.