Perkedel Jagung (Indonesian Corn Fritters)
Fragrant spices, ginger, and coconut perfume these Southeast Asian corn fritters.
Look for the large, waxy candlenuts, the kencur powder, a dried, ground rhizome related to both ginger and galangal, and the creamed coconut at Asian markets. You can also find all three online at foodsofnations.com.
Featured in: The 2020 Saveur 100: 81-90
Yield: serves 4-6
Time: 45 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. yellow onions, finely chopped
- 4 candlenuts (toasted, cooled, and finely ground in a mortar and pestle; about 2 Tbsp.)
- 2 tsp. galangal, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> tsp. kencur powder
- 1⅓ cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 cobs)
- 2 Tbsp. pure creamed coconut, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup plus 2 Tbsp. (1½ oz.) all-purpose flour
- Corn oil, for frying
- Sambal Tomat, for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, stir together the onions, candlenuts, galangal, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, and kencur powder. Add the corn, creamed coconut, and egg and stir until all of the ingredients are well incorporated. Stir the flour in gently, until just combined. Set the batter aside. 2. Meanwhile, add enough oil to a cast-iron skillet to reach a depth of ¾ inch. Cook over medium-high heat until oil just begins to shimmer (355-365°F on a deep-fry thermometer) adjusting the heat as needed to prevent oil from smoking.
- Working in batches, drop the batter by rounded tablespoons into the hot oil. (Avoid crowding the pan.) Fry until golden and crisp, 1-2 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fritters to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Serve warm, with Sambal Tomat, if desired.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, Tricks, and Tips for Hosting a Himalayan-Inspired Vegetarian Feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.