Chickpea flour acts as a flavorful binder in these Indian corn fritters from Romy Gill MBE, who serves them to her children; they enjoy them with mint-and-cilantro chutney, or even ketchup on the side.
Featured in: "The 2020 Saveur 100: 81-90."
- Corn oil, for frying
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 1-2 cobs)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tbsp. coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. Indian chile powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- Kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup chickpea flour
- 1⁄4 cup sparkling water
- Mint-and-cilantro chutney or ketchup, for serving (optional)