Featured in: The 2020 Saveur 100: 81-90
- Corn oil, for frying
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 1-2 cobs)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. Indian chile powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup chickpea flour
- 1⁄4 cup sparkling water
- mint-and-cilantro chutney for serving (optional)
- Fit a heavy bottomed pot with a deep-fry thermometer and add enough oil to reach a depth of 1 ½ inches. Cook, over medium-high heat, until the oil reaches 340°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix the corn, onion, cilantro, chile powder, coriander, cumin, and salt and stir to combine. Sift the chickpea flour over the ingredients and toss gently. Add the sparkling water and use your fingers to mix, thoroughly coating the vegetables in the thin batter.
- Working in batches, carefully drop the batter by rounded tablespoons into the oil (avoid crowding the pan) and fry until crispy and golden brown, 2–2½ minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fritters to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Serve hot, with mint-and-cilantro chutney, if desired.