Tahini’s nutty, luxurious properties don’t stop at hummus. Keep the sesame paste flowing with this bright red purée of boiled beets, lemon, and garlic.
Featured in: Lunch at the Desert’s Edge
- 1 lb. beets, trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup tahini
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 ice cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil, to garnish
- 1 pine nuts, toasted, to garnish
- Aish baladi or pita, to serve
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add beets and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and peel the beets, then transfer to a blender along with tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and ice cubes. Season with salt and pepper and purée until smooth. Spoon into a bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and pine nuts.