Dried rose petals do double duty in this recipe from Iranian food writer Naz Deravian: they’re ground and stirred into the cucumber-yogurt mixture, as well as left whole for the garnish. The tangy, fragrant sauce is the perfect accompaniment for crispy rice tahdig.
What You Will Need
- Dried rose petals
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated cucumber
- 1 tbsp. dried mint, plus more for sprinkling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly grind some rose petals between your fingers, and measure out ¼ teaspoon. In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, cucumber, mint, and the ground rose petals. Season generously with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with a sprinkling of more rose petals and mint. Or the sauce can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 3 days; garnish just before serving. (If the sauce becomes runny, stir in a little more yogurt to thicken it.)